Puppy Mills is a label used loosely to name a group of breeding facilities. It includes Amish operations, “reputable” show breeders who have a behind the scenes operation to mass produce puppies, some large multi breed kennels, and amateur “backyard” breeders out to make a buck.
Some of these may be better than others but none are good. The worst are a living hell, more for the parents of litter after litter with little care. All are guilty the following to a greater or lesser degree:
- Inadequate housing-some are only allotted a small crate they cant even stand in.
- Unsanitary conditions
- No heat or ventilation for hot weather
- lack of fresh water
- little or no medical care
- no genetic screening or care to prevent congenital problems
- minimal care and immunizations for puppies before sale
- lack of socialization